Orchestra Interviews

bc

Interview with Julia Paré of BC Orchestra by Emily Leong

Julia Paré is a violinist in the orchestra at Brooklyn College.

1. What is your favorite thing about playing music?
 “Being a musician gives you an instant bond with other musicians. It breaks down what would otherwise be social barriers. I love how playing music gives you an instant friendship starter with lots of people, and provides an emotional outlet.”
2. Has your orchestra class at Brooklyn College influenced you? If so, how?
 “I’ve only been in orchestra for almost one semester, so I can’t say much. But it’s definitely made me a much better sight reader, and increased my awareness of musical history, and conventions.”
3. In your opinion, what are the benefits to playing music?
 “There are so many benefits to playing music that it would be silly to try to list them here. But some in particular are how music crosses cultures, provides healing, and develops skills that carry over into other areas, like the ability to focus on detail, memorize quickly, and be sensitive to subtleties. Of course, music is worthwhile in itself.”
4. How long have you been playing music and what has motivated you to continue playing to this day?
“I’ve been playing the violin since I was four, so that’s fourteen years. (That makes me feel old!) There was never a time when I seriously considered or wanted to quit. (I must just be stubborn.) It’s like the violin is another limb that grew onto me and my personality — it’s a way of communication and expression that would be too much to give up. Besides, some of my best friends play music, and we all really enjoy playing together for fun. “

Interview with Christopher Kiang of BC Orchestra by Jessica Johnson