While the tour we took last Friday was extremely informative, it was almost as equally disheartening. Many of the stops we made on the tour of what should have been historic landmarks were no longer the buildings and the places they once were, save for the Apollo theater. We were met with run down buildings, chain restaurants, and hair salons.

The Tree of Hope was one site of particular interest for me. After we visited it during the tour, I couldn’t help but wonder why the tree had been cut, and twice, no less. I researched a bit and found that the first Tree of Hope had been cut down to be used as firewood and material for souvenirs, which was somewhat appalling, although I suppose there may have a been a lack of resources in that time period. The reason why the second tree was also cut down is unclear. Again, it’s saddening to see some of the culturally significant objects being made to seem like they were of no real significance.

Despite my disappointment at the lack of preservation of the historical sites in Harlem, it was, at the very least, interesting and somewhat astonishing to see how much these places and the culture in Harlem have changed within the past one hundred years. It also makes me wonder what these places will look like after another hundred years, and if tours like the one we took will still be going to these same places in the future.