This Is Just the Beginning

Immigration is a huge leap of faith.  One of the greatest risks that my family has ever taken was coming to the United States.  America offers people new hope for the future and an opportunity to rebuild their lives. My family came to America from Moscow, Russia, on January 17, 1995. At the time of migration, I was three years old and my mother and father were 27 and 21 years old, respectively.  One of the major factors that pushed my family out of Russia was religious persecution.  My father is Jewish and my mother is Russian Orthodox.  While my religious beliefs have little impact on how my family and I are perceived as people in America, in Russia we faced severe discrimination and prejudice.  Both the Social Capital Theory of Immigration and the Neoclassical Economic Theory of Immigration that we learned about in class best explain why my family came to America.  The first factor that pulled my family to the United States was that my father’s uncle, his whole family, and some of my more distant relatives had come to America about a decade earlier and had already integrated into U.S. society.  My father’s uncle had a business, one of his children had a career and a family, and the other was in public school.  The second factor that pulled my family to America was that the U.S. economy was doing relatively well in 1995, and there were many opportunities to build successful careers and a secure lifestyle here.

Then

When we first arrived in New York City, we moved into an apartment that my father’s uncle had found for us in Flushing, Queens.  Flushing has become one of the most diverse neighborhoods in New York City.  When we moved there, there was a mix of Asians, Italians, Greeks, Jews, and Hispanics living in the area.  My parents met and became friends with two couples when we first arrived in New York City.  One couple lived in our building and the other my parents met at a Jewish help center for immigrants, which helped newcomers learn English, continue their education, and find jobs.  Both couples were Russian and had children that were approximately my age, and we are all still in touch today.

Maintaining tradition was very important in my home.  In my house or with my extended family we all spoke Russian, and when we got together for meals there would be Russian food served or we would go to Russian restaurants.  My mother taught me how to read and write in Russian and we have a huge collection of Russian movies and music.  Even today when I am at home, the television is usually tuned to the Russian channel and I try to stay informed about the current events and the pop culture in Russia.  My parents have involved themselves in several organizations in New York City.  My mother is part of the United Federation of Teachers (UFT) and she and I attend a Russian Orthodox Church.  I finished public school and received the Macaulay Honors scholarship to go to college at Baruch.  Throughout high school, I volunteered at a Jewish Community Center for the elderly and now I volunteer at my neighborhood public library.

Now

My parents and grandparents studied for the citizenship test with the help of the Jewish immigrant help center and they are now citizens and so am I.  My younger brother, who was born in Long Island, is a U.S. citizen by birth.  My grandmother on my mother’s side, who splits her time between New York City and Moscow, has obtained a green card.  My parents and I have still retained our Russian citizenship as well.  However, while we follow current events in Russia, we do not participate in political affairs back home.  In the United States, on the other hand, my parents read the newspapers on a regular basis and vote in presidential elections.  I like to follow currents events as well and I am a habitual New York Times, New York Post, and Wall Street Journal reader.  For me, America is a country that has provided me with the chance to do anything that my heart desires and it has given me the freedom of choice.  I believe that in America with an education and the strive to succeed and make a difference anything is possible.

This entry was posted in Student Migration Histories. Bookmark the permalink.