Interacting with History

Going into a class on New York’s rich immigration history, I really was not expecting the extensive research I had to compile for the papers.  Instead of only challenging us intellectually, the research projects also challenged us in the areas of technology and communication.  When I first received the statistical profile project, I knew I was doomed from day one.  Not only was I very technology illiterate, I was very unskilled in determining which sources to draw from.  What I had anticipated to be a class on policy and trends became a class centered on finding the right data and translating that information into a visually appealing images.  However, with some mistakes here and there, I learned the general gist of what buttons to press and how to transform numbers into charts.  My graphs may not have been what the topic was aiming for, but the learning experience not only helped me develop a more concrete sense of what immigration trends looked like, but also got me to explore the different organizations which deal primarily with immigration.  Then, we had the interview project, which was another means to explore other people’s immigration and integration into society.  After hearing and reading so much about the problems that most immigrants overcame on their journey to the United States, I thought that my interviewee would simply present to me a story that almost mirrors my own immigration and integration background.  However, what I found was an emotional roller coaster of events which painted a harsh and cruel picture and taught me that no one migration decision is as easy as it seems.  The interview project opened my mind and definitely made me more compassionate towards those who fight for their lives to give their family a better future.  All in all, the research projects have been an obstacle that every student has overcome.  Whether it be advancing the knowledge of Microsoft programs, navigating with ease through databases, or sharing an intimate moment with a stranger, our research projects have been important learning experiences.

This entry was posted in Reflections. Bookmark the permalink.