Refugees’ Big Move to the Land of the Free

I am a first generation American, but not by much.  Interestingly enough, I was actually born just 10 short months after my parents immigrated to America from the former USSR.  My parents chose to immigrate because of the widespread discrimination and animosity towards Jewish people in Russia at the time.  Being Jewish in Russia hindered almost any opportunities for advancement.  So, in search of a better life, my parents decided to take a leap of faith and start a new life in America.  After applying and being approved for a refugee visa, in 1991, my parents, along with my grandparents and great-grandparents, touched down in New York City.  They chose New York because of the countless success stories they heard back home about immigrants just like themselves who moved to New York and achieved levels of success that were unheard of in Russia.

Before

However, with a lack of language skills, almost no money, and no family in New York to help them get on their feet, the first few years were difficult.  My family reached out to an organization called HIAS (Hewbrew Immigrant Aid Society), which offered them aid regarding citizenship applications, job placement, English language courses, and more.  For a while, my parents, the rest of my immediate family, and I all lived together in an apartment in Brooklyn.  My great-grandfather would stay home with me while both my parents and grandparents worked.  Finding a job was probably the most challenging obstacle for my parents during their initial integration.  Both my parents worked a number of low paying jobs before they were able to establish themselves in their careers.  Adjusting to life in America was also fairly difficult, as Russian and American culture vary significantly.  However, due to the large Russian population in New York, my parents were able to find people they could relate to, and outside of work have managed to socialize mostly with others who are part of the Russian community.

Now

Now

Despite the obstacles faced in the beginning, my parents’ decision to come to America was one that has paid off.  Thanks to my parents, my little brother and I now have opportunities available to us, which we would have never received in Russia.  I know that my parents worked hard to get to where we are today, and I hope to one day make them proud of what I accomplish thanks to them.

This entry was posted in Student Migration Histories. Bookmark the permalink.