Education

East European Jews were always considered outsiders in both Europe and the U.S. during the late 19th century and early 20th century. This page aims to educate people on Jewish educational experience in both Europe and the U.S. Topics covered include different types of academic settings such as chedars and yeshivas in Europe and grade schools and colleges in the U.S. The focus will be primarily on tracing the roots of why Jews are considered “model immigrants” academically and how their cultural ideals and values shape their academic achievements. Furthermore, we want to debunk the myth that a significant number of East European Jews were able to climb the occupational and social ladder through primarily academic achievements.

Since education in Mexico is a broad topic, I decided to focus on specific programs that aid in educating students in the rural and indigenous regions of the country, and also on programs that facilitate learning in New York City. For the section in Mexico, the program I will be featuring is Telesecundaria, a television-based school system catering to the rural areas of the country. For the education of Mexicans in New York City, I will focus on the different English as a Second Language (ESL) programs provided within the public school system. By highlighting these special programs, I wish to show that sometimes unconventional methods of teaching are necessary, even preferred, in order to educate students no matter where they are or what their circumstances are.

Click on the pictures to learn more about Jewish and Mexican education.

Courtesy of Historical Text Archive

Courtesy of Margaret Bourke-White