Hassam

This is Hassam’s painting “Winter in Union Square” and what I found to be the modern day location of this picture:

While the two look very different, there is the same curvature of the road and one of the buildings in Hassam’s original painting (the building with the pointed roof on the far right) still remains. The scene is very different today, being that the streets are paved, there is a subway at the corner and even the domed building that almost seems to be the trademark building of this picture are no longer here. I imagine the domed building is city hall, which is now overshadowed by skyscrapers and NYU dorms. The angle at which the buildings turn toward the road is the same as well. The horse-and-buggies are now taxi cabs, and the trees are now paved sidewalk. Clearly much has changed since Hassam originally painted this landscape.

Sarah.

This entry was posted in 9/8 Assignment. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Hassam

1. oweinroth says:

In future if you are working together, just create one post and put both your names at the top. Make sure I know who is writing/ photographing so I can give you credit for the post. Ideally you would have gone into one of the buildings and took your picture from there.