135th Street

We approach the hustling and bustling intersection of 135th St and Broadway. The length of the crosswalk is like the width of a busy highway. Between the traffic we see train tracks. Viewing the train tracks, we saw a beautiful sunset. This area reminds me of Times Square. Stores are on every corner and everything is so accessible. You would find a New York Presbyterian clinic, Chase Bank, many delis and grocery stores. Crossing the streets, I feel kinda unsafe. You have to be so attentive because some of the drivers really don’t pay attention. I actually almost got hit by a car because a car swerved so quickly to make a turn.  

It’s the people that give this crossroad pizazz. They are Harlemites who strut with a touchness of character, who buy their produce at mini markets and medicine at privately owned pharmacy where they chat and bicker with their friends, the owners and employees.  Spanish flirting chit chat banter and bickering isn’t uncommon either. There is a consistency and familiarity among the passerbyers.

Mei & Tamar