Research Group Members

Research: Current Group

Sabah Nahin Islam: My studies focus on metal-modified HAP and how it interacts with dye molecules. I prepare HAP from (NH4)2HPO4 + CaCl2. The amount of metal is determined by the atom percent in relation to the amount of CaCl2. The zinc-modified HAP are 1, 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10% Zn. I want to understand how the different levels of zinc affect adsorption of a dye. In my free time, I like to spend time volunteering at the ASPCA and trying different cafes in the city with friends.

Rebecca Litvak: I am working on metal-modified HAP. I am running kinetics studies with dyes and equilibrium isotherm. In addition, I am learning about NMR to gain a further understanding of the structures of various types of HAP. In my spare time I enjoy reading, drawing, baking, and playing video games.

Sreejan Saha: I have been learning about molecular adsorption and applying my knowledge to analyze the adsorption properties of HAP and its modified derivative with regards to various compounds, such as biological stains, industrial dyes, and indicators. I am currently working to find adsorption patterns for sulfonate dyes and indicators, such as phenol red. In my spare time, I like to listen to music, sing, play guitar, watch and play basketball and soccer, and spend time with friends and family.

Elyas Amin: Hello! I’m a senior going into my third year working at the Alexandratos Lab. I joined my sophomore year because I wanted to explore the intersection between chemistry and environmental science. I’m working on determining optimal contact conditions and the adsorption capacity between HAP and Methylene Blue. I also work on a project studying possible modifications of HAP. When I’m not in lab, I enjoy going to concerts and trying new restaurants.

Brandon Chin:  I am currently studying the interaction of Janus Green B dye with HAP and metal-modified HAP. It is a three-part study. First, I will look at the kinetics of the interaction, then at how adsorbent dose plays a role in this interaction, and finally I will take a complete isotherm. In my spare time, I enjoy playing the piano and swimming.

Shanjeed Ali: I’m a junior working on the modification of HAP using bisphosphonate with the goal of understanding the change in structure using XRD analysis. I am also working on creating isotherms based on contacts of methylene blue and HAP modified under different reaction conditions. In my free time, I enjoy cooking and seeing movies.

Research: The Ancients

Group members who have moved to new heights

Aiysha Ashfaq, Ph.D. graduate program, University of Maryland at College Park, department of chemistry

Hila Benhaim, Ph.D. graduate program, University of California at Santa Barbara, department of chemistry

Kevin Tang, Fulbright Scholar at the University of Jordan