Assignment #1

Flipping through the pages of New Deal Photography I turned to a page that had immediately caught my eye. On pages 164 and 165 we are presented with a lot of posters of minstrels in black face. Although extremely offensive in today’s age, it was prevalent and accepted as a form of entertainment during Jim Crow. Upon further inspection it is revealed that all performers are white and this has been their tradition for 55 years. To my surprise, there were also circus posters plastered next to the minstrel show posters showing how similarly these performances were regarded.

Not only did these performances mock the black experience but they were a form of oppression. By holding minstrel shows in the same light as circuses the whole thing seems to be a sort of freak show. Music was also a part of these shows, yet oddly enough it was admired by many, incorporating instruments such as the saxophone and introducing jazz to a larger audience.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Assignment #1

1. BaddieHub says:

BaddieHub
    has become my go-to for all things style; from trendsetting outfits to empowering beauty tips, it’s a complete lifestyle guide!

2. Jackbox Menu says:

Thanks for sharing this nice article!

3. Erome says:

Hi this is great content

4. baddies says:

Hi this is great content