Claudia Roth Pierpont on Edith Wharton’s writing style – Julianna Romero

“Oh, centuries and centuries; so long,” she said, “that I’m sure I’m dead and buried, and this dear old place is heaven;” which, for reasons he could not define, struck Newland Archer as an even more disrespectful way of describing New York society.

This sentence, that concludes chapter two of Wharton’s Age of Innocence, stuck out to me. It captures the nostalgic yet resentful essence that Wharton had towards her own life in New York society.

Before reading The Age of Innocence, I had read Pierpont’s biography on Wharton and her writing style through American Rhapsody, and was surprised by Wharton’s overall take on life, as well as the events that happened throughout it. As a New York socialite herself, Pierpont speaks of Wharton’s familial ties, her apathetic marriage, thrilling love-letter affair, and scorn towards New York society. After knowing Wharton’s background as a person and author, The Age of Innocence felt very authentic, spoken from a person who truly knew how New York society lived and breathed. Pierpont speaks of Wharton’s writings as “exquisitely detailed”, and this could not be more true. The vivid imagery evoked by Wharton’s words in her readings make her scenes so colorful and clear. Wharton does not leave anything out — from the sparkling jewels wrapped around an aristocrat’s neck and the delicate details of the opera house, to describing the family heritage a wealthy family. Her writing style is eloquent and familiar, allowing the reader to know exactly what’s going on, while still keeping the fourth wall as an outsider raised.

Aside from her animated use of words, I have connected that Wharton’s life seems to be reflected in her writing. According to Pierpont, there was nothing more miserable to Wharton than marriage, and nothing worse to do than divorce. In The Age of Innocence, Ellen Olenska reveals her unconventional views about New York society, similar to Wharton’s own. Although Archer slowly falls in love with her, he continues to marry May instead, holding off on his feelings towards the Countess. Ellen, on the other hand, remains divorced, refuses to act upon Archer, and also returns to Europe. Much like Pierpont says, I believe this story can be seen as indirectly feminist — a woman who thinks beyond the social constraints of the time, as well as one who stands her ground when her morality is tested. As an author who both lived and wrote about the realities of New York society, Wharton’s works are both memorable in their eloquence and closeness.

This entry was posted in Post #3. Bookmark the permalink.