New Deal Photography – Natalie Mizrahi

After carefully looking over a few photos I decided to comment on the Faro caudill family eating dinner, captured by Russel Lee.  This picture drew my attention simply because it is one of the few colored photos in this book. However, the colors represented in this photo are very dull. This photo spoke to me because it reminded me of my family; Growing up, the value of family bonding time was strongly emphasized.

This family comes off as a very traditional family, that waits for dad to come home so that everyone can eat together. It is hard to make out what kind of food they are eating, which would indicate their economic status. However, it is clear that this family is well off compared to other families during the 1940’s in New Mexico. Many men during this era volunteered to join the war effort and fight for the U.S.A in World War II. The men who didn’t volunteer, farmed and didn’t receive a high income. Therefore, it was very difficult for people to afford and indulge in food.

Unfortunately, this family doesn’t seem very engaged in conversation. They seem tired, worn out, and not so hungry. In fact, at first glance it seems as if there is a lot of food on the table. However, after careful examination it is apparent that there isn’t any food on the children’s plates, and the table simply looks full due to the dishes not the food.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to New Deal Photography – Natalie Mizrahi

1. Laarf jf says:

Very nice information, thanku very much. Please visit at HDHub4u