Renaming Harlem

I saw this NY1 article shared by many of my Facebook friends and all of them were outspoken with rage, as they should be. As if taking over most of New York City wasn’t enough, modern developers and real estate agents came up with a plan to rename the area from 110th to 125th Streets as “SoHa”, or South Harlem to make it sound as trendy as SoHo. This, in my opinion, is absolutely ridiculous. Even if gentrification were to spread into Harlem, Harlem should keep its name. We should have learned back in 1492 when Christopher Columbus sailed the ocean blue that changing the identity of a place is just wrong. Moving people out of their homes and destroying the culture of a neighborhood just to increase the capital of a land is wrong. Sprinkling a coffee shop or two in an area and then immediately claiming it is a pretty offensive slap in the face. The strong historic African-American culture is still there, so what is the point of ignoring it and saying “sorry this is SoHa now, screw your feelings”. Harlem has so much history behind it, and to just strip the neighborhood of that to make it sound trendy in order to attract more gentrifiers is really disgusting and selfish.

http://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/2017/05/24/harlem-soha-residents-unhappy-name-change-push.html