All the Nations Under Heaven Reflection

As I began reading “All the Nations Under Heaven”, I too was reminded of the humble beginnings of what is now one of the best cities in the world, New York City. I find it incredible that it started first, as a business expedition, but secondly, as a safe haven for persecuted peoples; moreover, its ability to maintain its status as a place of refuge over the course of its history (with a few exceptions in time). Many early settlers found comfort in knowing that they were free to “worship in private to nonconformists”. This was challenged many times throughout the history of New York City and still continues to be debated- now pushed beyond religious toleration, segregation, and gender equality to marital equality. Issues such as these will continue to arise, and as they do, we will conform and adjust adequately. The history of New York City continues to be written each day as we grow and evolve.

New York City would not be what it is today without its inhabitants. Binder, Reimers, and Salvo can attest to the many different cultures that are represented throughout New York City. The people that reside within this city (and their ancestors) are the people that have shaped it into the place that it has become. From the early Dutch and English settlers, Jews, African Americans, Irish, German, Poles, Italians, and so many others, I find it incredible to think that so many people with so many different backgrounds and cultures and beliefs are able to coexist in such harmony.