Breakfast at Tiffany’s

I enjoyed this book very much; it practically screamed “New York” from the first few pages. What struck me the most, however, was the age of Holly. When she had first told the narrator she was only nineteen, I imagined a girl similar to my age- but that most definitely was not the case. Although she presented herself as a mature woman occasionally, her age did show. Throughout the story, little details and actions hint at the youth of Holly. For example, her constant memories of Fred, her childlike and carefree attitude, and her little fits. I think her innocence was taken away from her from the moment she entered New York City, and this is why she searched for older men to provide and care for her. She is essentially still a child; I cannot imagine living the life that she led, and I’m almost nineteen! She offered all the potential of a rising star, but was lost in bad decisions, although not necessarily by her actions but from not knowing any better. After the death of her parents, she constantly had to do for herself, so New York was the perfect setting for her to try to achieve her goals and escape her past. However, she was unable to leave her past behind and fleeing was her go-to escape.