City of Ambition Pt. 3

As I drew an end to Mason B. Williams City of Ambition, I was surprised to see La Guardia’s sudden shift in interest. He went from controlling every aspect of getting New York out of the Depression, to wanting to be part of the change in America’s foreign policy on a national level. I though being a part of a complex city would prepare him for the duties he wanted to pursue on a national level, but evidently that was untrue. La Guardia struggled to juggle his mayoral duties and his duties as the head of OCD during the war. His inner need to be a part of the war effort mixed with his emotions, got in the way and as a result led him to make poor judgements and decisions and showed a side of La Guardia people had never seen before. I have a small prediction as to why this may have happened. It’s because the attention and care needed for a city like New York and the attention and care needed for America as a whole was very different during this time. La Guardia, when attempting to handle both at once, couldn’t because he simply wasn’t prepared to assess both at the same time. I thought being a representative of a city with massive diversity would’ve helped him attack the issues that he faced on a national level but unfortunately it didn’t. In fact, it actually resulted to the downfall in his popularity in New York. This was reflected when he ran for mayor for a third term and when he couldn’t even run for a fourth term. However, this sudden change in popularity didn’t change his original goals because in the end he did make moves to assess public health insurance and housing post-war. All in all, it was interesting to see the obstacles that faced these native New Yorkers when it came to addressing both the Great Depression and WWII in the making of modern America and New York.