Becky Chakkalo

I live in the Gravesend area of Brooklyn, NY. While there are many examples of public art in this area, this anonymous piece of art is definitely my favorite. It is located on Quentin Road between East 7th and East 8th on the wall of the outermost garage in a parking and garage area. The piece depicts an exuberant flower on an intricate bubbly design. It is large and obvious, and filled with vibrant colors- as if it is supposed to get heads turning. The combination of deep blue, purple, green, and yellow is bright and visible at any hour of the day. I actually noticed the artwork for the first time on a dark night.

screen-shot-2016-10-19-at-6-26-06-pm

I will never forget the overwhelming feeling of surprise that I felt the first time I spotted the art. A friend of mine and I were just driving around with no particular destination in mind. We had nowhere to be and nothing to focus on besides for each other’s company. It was just a laid back and insignificant moment. I was in the middle of my sentence when I noticed a bit of color behind my friend. I directed my attention to the public art, paused for a minute, and then asked if he had ever noticed that huge painting before. He turned around and realized he hadn’t recognized it either. I was utterly confused. The art did not look new. Some of the paint had started to peal off on top and the colors were sort of coated by dirt. If I had to guess,this art has been around for years. But I had passed this block countless times in my life. It is near the Q train. It is near restaurants where I normally eat. It is near my home and it is near my friends homes. Why hadn’t I noticed it before? I believe that the way I felt is telling of the statement that the artist was trying to make. My area of Brooklyn is very fast paced. It would be considered ridiculous for someone to stop and have a spontaneous five minute long conversation with another person in the area. We are all running errands, minding our business, and trying to sort out our busy and hectic lives. We are determined to take down any tasks we have at hand, no time for anything unimportant. Furthermore, the area is extremely monotonous. Every home looks almost exactly like the one beside it. Every building looks the same, and every complex looks the same. This leaves little room for creativity and individuality. I believe that the artist was trying to convey a message to the residents of my area: take a moment to appreciate some color. I may have thought that my car ride with my friend was insignificant, however the artist would like for me to appreciate the seemingly insignificant moments in life. He or she would have liked for me to go out on pointless drives more often, and to not always have an exact idea of where I am headed. This piece of art proved to me how easy it is to miss out on beautiful things in life, as obvious as they may be, if your eyes are not open to seeing them.