Lucy Snyder: Mozart Letters

In Wolfgang Mozart’s letters to his wife, sister, clients and friend and Leopold Mozart’s letters to his daughter (Mozart’s sister), only several topics are discussed. However, a lot is revealed about Mozart’s personality and his relationship with other people.

Mozart shows his professional side when he writes his past and potential clients. It is clearly a hard time for Mozart financially. He asks for a salary as well as the honor of working for the royal groom of the champers and to replace Herr Kapellmeister Hofmann of the Council of Vienna. He speaks of his accomplishments, saying “my musical talents and achievements are known abroad, my name held in considerable estimation everywhere, and I myself have for several years enjoyed the honor of the appointment of Court composer here in the capital…” He is writing in his own best interest but maintains proper etiquette for doing do.

Mozart’s letters to his friend concern borrowing money also contain profuse apologies. It is clear that he isn’t so much embarrassed as he is empathetic for Michael Puchberg, merchant of Veinna. Mozart is full of promises of repayment and returning favors but it becomes clear that he isn’t going to be able to anytime soon. However, he reassures his friend he is working his hardest and even gives examples of what he is doing to earn more money.

In addition to being apologetic on the issue of finances, Mozart apologizes for things he write as if he were speaking. For example, when writing to Geheimrath, he apologizes before receiving a response for potentially taking his rant too far.

Mozart has moments talking about other people that seem subjective. His letters mostly concern his own well-being and the person he is corresponding with, but occasionally he discusses another party. He is honest about their talents, for example when he says, “If the latter played no better at the time we knew him in Holland than he plays now, he certainly does not deserve is fame!” of Fishers. In a letter to his wife, he says “the Arch-Enemy, was so much the Bavarian that I could not stay, or I should have been forced to tell him he was an ass!…At first I had patience… but he mocked at everything. It became too much for me.”

Corresponding with his sister, he expects the truth and is disappointed and upset when she has not told him of their father’s passing. He says, “I beg you will not… will not conceal it from me, but tell me , or have told, the whole truth, so that I can come with all human speed to your arms!” He wants to be a part of the family and to help in this situation even though he is not presently nearby. In this letter, he has to almost convince her that he would give the world for her and why is she not doing the same for him? This is him inducing shame into her.

Mozart shows slight modesty in some instances. When he speaks to his wife about his travels, he says, “True, I am celebrated here, admired and beloved…” but this is more of a description of a new place.

Mozart does not appear to be very empathetic toward his father. He asks him to take care of his child while he travels (according to Leopold Mozart). It is possible that it is just a favor asked, but the father does not seem to want to. However, we don’t see Mozart’s letter to his father.

He highly empathizes with his wife and her sickness. He constantly tells her he loves her and their son, Carl, and sends her kisses. Mozart gives her stories of his travels so that she is entertained and comforted. It might seem that he showers her in complements to lift some of the anger she might have for leaving her alone for extended periods of time uncared for, or it could be true love. He does speak about a “kind of emptiness which hurts [him] sharply” as he misses her.