Ashley Haynes: Mozart’s Letters

Peeling Back the Layers into the Real Man

A man truly ahead of his time, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, has been the man to music that Shakespeare has been for literature. Although only living for a brief thirty-five years, Mozart would go on to compose six hundred works ranging from operas, concertos, symphonies, and chamber music to choral music. All of which, even centuries later has been just as prominent then as they are now in such well known movies as Seven Pounds and Dinner for Schmucks. His famous works including Don Giovanni, The Magic Flute, his no.40 in G minor and no. 41 in C major aren’t just facets of the past to be known and simply forgotten.

Yet, although being known, as one of the greatest composers of all time isn’t a sordid title to say the least, there was more to the man than his gift as a musical genius. Mozart was a genuine, altruistic, humorous family man and friend who was able to relate to others. This man, the uncensored Mozart was best exhibited in his famous personal letters.

In his numerous letters to his wife, Mozart was simply like any other husband in his longings to be with his wife instead of away working on music. In letters 115 and 138 through 140, he wrote about his yearnings to know if his wife thought about him every waking moment as he did of her. Was she as overcome with emotion in dealing with the temporary separation as he was? She was always his rock that he could physically turn to be with. Yet, when he was away he could only just put pen to paper and express his feelings of being with her and kissing her, a reality tough to swallow. Therefore, when he went a long lapse of time without writing her, he expressed his guilt. Being away from her and his family in an effort to be a provider and follow his passion wasn’t easy. “I have often thought of traveling farther, but whenever I tried to force myself to decide to do so, the thought always came to me how bitterly I should regret it if I were to separate myself so long from my beloved wife without certain prospect of success, and perhaps quite fruitlessly”. (Letter 129)

In his letter to his father, Mozart showed his compassion. He wrote about his fear upon hearing that his father wasn’t in good health and how much he had longed for his speedy recovery. He voiced that knowing his father was ill made him greater appreciate waking up to see a new day no matter if he was old or young. He just wanted to know the truth when it came to his father’s health, good or bad because he wanted to know how he could help.  He wanted to know so that he could be a good supportive brother to his sister and obedient son to his father.

In his letters to his friends, Mozart showed equal humility. He wrote with regret in Letter 117 for not having responded in a speedily fashion because he knew if someone took the time out to reach out to him, the least he could do would be to respond in a readily capacity even if he was busy. When he was in need of money, he wasn’t afraid to ask and admit that it would take him some time to pay off the debt but that he would pay it back with interest. He expressed why he was rather brief in letter 118 to a friend due to his worry over his wife’s health. Mozart had a sense of courtesy because he knew life was not only about him alone. As a result, in subsequent letters he spoke of his pleasant excitement in simply hearing from fellow companions. “The conviction that you are indeed my friend, and that you know me for a man of honour, emboldens me to disclose all my heart to you, and to make you the following petition.” (Letter112)

Then above all, Mozart showed his light-hearted sense of humor in his one hundredth and thirty second letter. He wrote about a home set up for his wife having Goldhahn quarters similar to the one used by the butcher. Then if such weren’t available he would prefer something near the baths. He essentially knew what he was asking for was ridiculous but still proceeded with the letter. Mozart wasn’t ashamed to be blunt about what he thought of by writing it down for others to read. In his exact words he said “this is the stupidest letter I have ever written in my life”.(letter 132) Yet, I believe such a trait made Mozart one of the greatest composers by allowing him to just convert the music he conjured in his head to pen and paper.

Subsequently, I now realize it is only truly through his letters that one could fathom the true embodiment of Mozart as a complete person. Mozart wasn’t simply a musical genius. Mozart the uncensored man was a fun, light-hearted compassionate person like you and I who just so happened to be gifted as well.