Lauren Vicente, Romantic Short Story

Inspiration: The Abduction of Rebecca by Eugène Delacroix

The first thing I heard was the screech of a horse. No – that was a chorus of screeches, followed by the bellowing orders of a man. No, men, many men! The smell of burning hickory and ash interrupted my thought. What was I doing here? What was this?

I turned and faced the barren city, or at least what was left of it. The cacophonous roars of battle cries and ear piercing screams drowned out any sort of happiness that evaded the area.

“We’ve got her!” The cheers were coming closer. I slipped behind a small thicket, peering out cautiously. A large, black horse holding up two men and a woman let out a slight whinny. There was a shift of the horse’s legs as one of the soldiers slipped off. “Come on, men!” He called down the hill. The other man held up the incapacitated woman. Were they her savior? Or were they the enemy?

“We need to leave…now!” The soldier in red could barely make out his words; whether it was from nerves or fatigue I would never know.

The sullen look on her face looked to artificial to be from any natural means, and the success plastered upon the green-shirted soldier’s face seemed too maniacal. It finally occurred to me that this…this heist, this burning – this was their plan all along!

Horses started pulling up to the area now, carrying soldiers from the burning city. I peered out from the bushes and realized this army extended down the hill and extended back to the city. I was afraid to let out even the slightest noise – I didn’t plan to become part of the action!

“General, where to?” Another voice came from the next horsed solider upon the hill.

“Until the troops are here and accounted for, we will remain.”

“Will Rebecca wake up?”

“Who knows, Bois-Guilbert wants her, so he’ll get her… in whatever state!” A hearty laugh sprung up between the men. It sickened me. Rebecca wasn’t property, but it was obvious that her value as a person was meaningless.

The cacophony had died down at this point. The city looked even more lifeless than before, if possible. It was as if the remainder of the army was the only life that was left, and now that they had left, it was over. Rebecca had been retrieved by any and all means.

“They’re all out, General!”

“On to Bois-Guilbert!” The second laugh replaced the noise of the fallen city and slowly faded into the clack-clack of horseshoes.