Artist’s Letter (Bleron Samarxhiu)

November 1, 1790

Most honourable O.B.!

Dearest of all friends,

I am sorry to present such a dire situation to your hands, but I have no other choice, and I have to do what is a must to survive. All I ask from you, brother, is nothing but a fair amount of money that I need to support myself away from home and a little for my ill wife whom I had left alone a short while ago. She can barely walk by herself and has been at the baths recently to try and treat her terrible illness. I have myself been somewhat ill these past few days, but I am terribly worried for her. May God watch over her and do the baths for her good!

There is no doubt that you have heard of my success in my latest pieces lately and I am looking forward to continue this success in the future, but all that is required that is just the financial support of a moneylender. I am obliged to moneylenders to live and to continue my musical works. I am so obliged that I have to beg you, most honourable brother, at this very moment. Do not withdraw our friendship due to this inhumane begging which society forces me to do. As soon as I make significant amounts of money, I will repay you, despite I have already been long indebted to you. All I need my brother is the time to accomplish this!

Oh, I have already asked you too much, but I cannot help it but ask of you just one small favor. I will not be able to write letters in the upcoming month due to my busy schedule, and therefore I oblige to ask you this favor. I have a score of one of my early works in my house. All I ask of you to do is ask my lovely wife for it; she knows exactly which one it is as I have already mentioned it to her to give it to you. Ask her for it after she finally comes back from the baths. Afterwards, give it to Lord Henry and he will pay you a relatively significant amount of money. That will at least pay back some of my infinite debt that I owe you. May God never ruin our dear friendship!

In the meantime, offer some support to my wife, as she needs the money to live and to treat her terrible illness. At the moment, I have two pupils and am planning on increasing that number to eight to lower the number of expenses I have. Issue it abroad across the towns that I give lessons. I have talked enough of my indebtedness to you, and I would like to discuss with you of my recent travels and success here near this town.

I have through many towns. Last night, I had the most splendid Moselle wine and the sweetest coffee to fill our stomachs. Throughout my travels, I have had nothing but very fine and beautiful weather except for one day, during which it was raining and gave me irritable discomfort. I have finally secured a room here in this town; the inn is not too dear, but still requires a decent amount of money for which I am unable to pay at the moment.

My quartet and my sonatas are ready to be performed, but what I desire is the ability to pay for the expenses. If you could do so, oh how much it would overflow me with happiness. My pupils here are learning quite quickly and in the meantime I am currently working on my latest pieces and am in need of relieving my anxiety and stress. Send anything that you could to me. Anything will be appreciated! I am very most grateful to you, brother!

Thank you,

Every thy your best of friends

W.A. Mozart

P.S. I will be around town very soon and look forward to having dinner with you. Be sure to respond to this letter as soon you finished the favors.