Lauren Vicente, Artist’s Letter

April 1789

Dearest Friend Franz,

I’m sorry I had not written any sooner, it’s very hard to write anything beyond music at this time. Young Karl has developed a dastardly cold and Costanze and I have been worried ill over him, but we’re trying our best to stay afloat. My next opera is due oh so quickly – it is very hard to ignore the anticipation!

The depth of art flowing through my veins has been riveting! I feel as if I eat and dream about my trade, but sadly there has been little salary in what I love.  I’m very ashamed to ask for a loan – only 200 florins, my friend – because money is scarce with a sick child. I’m hoping you and your family are in good health and never have to feel this pain. I am still waiting on the return of a few loans I had given too readily. This loan, however, will not follow suit!

Thank you!

Your greatest friend,

Mozart

April 1789

Dearest Sister,

My how long it has been! I’m so sorry I have yet to reply to you – it has been a hard few months, but we are a resilient bunch – except in the economic sense. I so humbly request some money – any sum! I calculated time and time again and each time realized you do have a sum owed to me, but, as your loyal brother, hope you will give me as much as you see fit. I will waive most of the debt…however, I do request the return of the money I had loaned you years prior.

Forever your loyal brother,

W.A. Mozart

P.S. – I believe the sum was around 300 florins. You do the math.

May 1789

Honorable Franz Hofdemel,

I am so sorry I haven’t had a chance to write you! The sum of money you provided landed in my hands safely but escaped just as rapidly. I’m sorry to say I have yet to reclaim a reasonable sum of money to send back to you. Times are hard, my friend, and I am truly grateful for the kindness you have shown me. It is very hard for me to admit this – you know I am a man of high standard – but my music has yet to flourish as I intended. Therefore, I will continue to work to pay back the debt, and then some!

You are the greatest companion I could ask for and truly appreciate the kind eye in which you use to look at me. I am proud to call you my friend.

Yours truly,

W.A. Mozart

June 1790

My dear sister,

All is well here. Please do not be worried. I’m sorry for the rude letter I sent – I have acquired the funds necessary to sustain my livelihood. Return your debt as soon as you can.

Your patient brother,

William