Roseann Weick – Artist’s Letter to a Friend

June 1788

My most estimable friend, Michael Puchberg!

I feel it has been ages since we have last corresponded. I have not had a moment to myself to finally respond to your letters and convey my happenings. At any moment when I attempt to continue my communication with you, there is but another task I must tend to. As you know, my compositions and traveling have kept me very much occupied, but as you also know my Brother, I have the utmost dedication to you. I do pray that your trades in Vienna have been successful ones. I myself have been hoping to confirm an orchestra in the Prince’s court. As I spoke of earlier, I was in correspondence with Sebastian Winters, Royal Groom-of-the-Chambers, to settle this arrangement.

As such close friends – in all honestly, you are in fact a brother to me – I must ask for your quick reply and acceptance of the request I know leave in this letter. With such a close bond, as brothers do have, I must now be frank with you. You know me of a man of honor and loyalty. But I now must ask you for a small sum to ease my financial situation. I ask for a mere 1000 florins. This sum would at last give me the opportunity to focus on my music. I apologize for this imposition, but I assure you I will repay this loan with interest. My brother, as you know, whoever lends to me is secure enough by reason of my character.

You do not understand how this small contribution will be the greatest of comforts to me. My mind can be at rest, and I can once again compose to earn my salary. I hope you receive this letter in good health and with an open heart. You generosity is very much appreciated.

Your true friend,

W. A. Mozart

June 1789

Honorable Michael!

Oh my brother, how I do hope my last letter found you in good health. I cannot express enough my gratitude for your generosity. However, I must show regret in writing you again. It torments me, but I must ask again for further funding. My circumstances have worsened, as my father, wife, and child have fallen ill. I still continue to work on my own to earn money; however, my ventures have proven fruitless. Your further contribution would be very helpful and so very much appreciated.

Oh how horrible fate has been to me. I face many a misfortune and grovel in desperation. I profess, with all my heart, my thankfulness and I again assure you the good of your generosity will outweigh the bad.

Ever yours,

W. A. Mozart

June 1790

Dearest Brother!

Oh truest of friends! Brother dearest! I am so very grateful for your earlier services to me. However, I regret to inform of further personal tribulations.

My misfortunes have only multiplied and I now beg so shamelessly for your help and money. Although I see possible lucrative opportunities in the future, I must now rely on you, my faithful friend. Please excuse my persistent demands – it is just that I am so confident in our strong bond. I am forever in your debt, most gracious brother.

Your humble servant,

Mozart