Artist’s Letter

Joshua Sloan

June 10th 1781

Dear Long Lost Companion,

It’s been too long since our last encounter. It pains me to know that you are alive and living while I am not privy to the happenings of your life. I hope all is well by you. I hope the memorable landscape of Salzburg is as beatific as I remember it. I recall when we were merely boys running over the bridges that cross the spectacular Salzach River. Those scorching hot days where the stifling heat practically pushed us into the river with the other children – the most memorable times of my life I must concede. As your long time friend, I believe I must inform you of some bad news. The musical compositions I’ve been working on have refused to gain the popularity intended for them. The financial burden I’ve been suffering with has forced me to move from my home in order to support my family and myself. It’s an emotional affliction no man should suffer being separated from your family. After all those conversations as boys we had concerning the fame, power, and respect we would one day receive, you would not be impressed with the man I have become. I am forced to humble myself before people who do not deserve respect from ants, although I suppose one could find some respect in doing what’s necessary to provide for your family and pursuing one’s passion. I would love for you to reply to this letter and to come visit me; I am lonesome and dejected and any form of communication illuminates my measly abode with joy. I’ve included some of my most recent works. Perhaps you could give me your opinion on them? When I think about the complexity and originality of my music, I refuse to relinquish the though that it will one day be revered worldwide.
Your Friend,
Wolfgang Mozart