Kristy Timms – Artist’s Letter

To Micheal Puchberg —

Dearest best of friend, and honorable O.B.

I trust this letter finds you well. Your health and well-being are of the utmost importance to me, dear brother. It has been an unfortunate matter that I have not yet seen you for the longest time, although I have tried with all my might, it has been a most challenging period. Your friendship holds the greatest value for me, richer than gold, purer than water. I hope you are in good health, with your table full and your wine glass overflowing.

Sorrowfully I write with little joy from my side. My friend and honorable brother, my only true friend it is only you to whom I can divulge the horrid dangers of which I am experiencing. Before I go further, I ask that you forgive me for my need, as I wish it were not mine. I, wholeheartedly, wish I was no ones pain to bare for it is too harsh for words. With a hollow stomach, cold feet and perspiration, I attempt. I have paced upon the floor for some time, a blank paper lying on my desk. My heart be too heavy to write the words. My plea comes not from a place of not want but a desperate place of need. For both my family and me. I protest my own desperation in order to not have to ask yet again, but my present condition has left me with no other possibility. The thought of my request from such a brother makes me shudder. Dear sir, forgive me. It has come to the place where I no longer have an option, but I am left with little choice. Friend, my confidant, spare me grace and mercy, I beg. The truth is too bitter for words and I find shame in putting them to paper. With a somber breathe I write these words. It appears to be so that my work is not accounted for by its worth, as the contacts remain of little pay and benefit for yours truly. My musical influence has not yet spread with vivacity. My hours of labor into my craft do not cease yet the rewards run low. A disappointing truth left deaf on the ears of those who need be listening. The honest, hard truth my true friend. The result of this unfairness brings its effects too close to my home. The rent is due. It has already been due, and now coercions have been set forth if the amount remains incomplete tomorrow. My friend, for a loan I request. The amount only enough for the coercions to refrain and my soul to rest for a day. I promise on its return at the earliest hour, with the greatest amount of interest I can accompany with it.

It will give me the greatest joy per chance you are able to save me yet again from the grave, honorable brother. Your assistance will come as a light in the unspeakable darkness. I have travelled with a burden for which I could no longer bare to carry a step further. It is you, dear friend, who will be able to rid me of this pain, and for that I kiss your feet in respect and thanks for your generosity. I praise you for your bounteousness in the past, and I plead for it now once again.

Your,

humblest debtor, most grateful servant, dearest friend and brother,

W. A. Mozart.