The Many Colors of Dyker Heights

The outskirts of Dyker Heights are filled with wonders for its people to see. From murals to statues to even graffiti on a storefront, art can be found everywhere in this part of southern Brooklyn; one just needs to on the lookout. My neighborhood isn’t exactly a hotspot for street artists, but it does have some eye-catching pieces.

Mysterious mural of 3 men on 12th Ave 69th St

If I decide to take a walk down to the busy streets of 18th Ave from my house, I will pass by this enigmatic mural on 12th Ave. It portrays 3 unnamed men who appear to be deceased. Both the identity of the artist and the meaning of this mural are unknown but one can guess that the artist was a friend of these 3 individuals and they all lived in this neighborhood. Unfortunately, if the artist was acquainted with these 3 deceased men, it is very likely that the artist himself or herself is dead as well. This mural stands alone on a wall next to a corner deli and it has been there for as long as I’ve lived in this neighborhood, which is more than a decade. It is only known by people who have frequently walked down this street and even among that group, I would say only a handful know when the mural was painted. Every time I walk to the 71 St. station or decide to pick up something at the pharmacy, I would pass by this mural and unconsciously try to imagine who these men were. The wreaths attached to the mural are replaced quite frequently and occasionally, I would see candles next to the wall so there is still someone who knows these men. The identity of this person still eludes me though. As strange as this painting may be, it also serves as a checkpoint between the suburban and urban parts of Dyker. On one side of this street stands houses stacked upon each other and on the other, legions of delis, restaurants, and retail stores. Even after more than a decade, this mural stands intact and I hope it will remain standing and keeping the history of Dyker Heights alive.

Nature Adventure by Yana Dimitrova (Why couldn’t this have been here when I was still in elementary school)

P.S. 176, also known as the Ovington School, has one of the most beautiful schoolyards an elementary school can get. This wondrous mural designed by Yana Dimitrova but painted by students of the school. This painting was commissioned as part of a large-scale renovation of the schoolyard in 2010. With the renovation came various playground equipment as well as a track and a small field. I am an alumnus of P.S. 176, but unfortunately, I had already graduated by the time the renovation was finished. This mural wraps around half of the schoolyard, displaying many aquatic and land animals as well as the school’s slogan: “Believe It! Achieve It!”. A person would need to stand right in the middle of the schoolyard and look around to see the whole thing. This painting cannot be fully appreciated at any time of the day. Only when the playground is full of children running and playing can one truly understand what this painting was meant for. In a way, the children of Dyker Heights themselves are part of this mural. I believe Dimitrova’s intent was to turn a bland empty lot into a marvelous land of adventure. When a child steps into the yard for the first time and takes everything in, imagination goes wild and all he or she can think of is to try playing with everything in sight. And if the child is still unsatisfied, there is ANOTHER playground behind the school with more wonders to explore.

Students painting the P.S. 176 mural (2010)