Fall for Dance roundup

What a great evening at Fall for Dance! I think we all found something to enjoy on the program.  My favorite was the Brazilian Dance troupe DANCEBRAZIL who were super high energy and acrobatic. I loved their music too. Their slogan appropriately is “Rejecting gravity for over thirty years” – I love it! Unfortunately, they were just here for this festival and largely perform in Brazil so we are lucky to have seen them.

I wanted to note a few things that I found of interest related to tonight’s performance.  Sara Mearns, a principal dancer in the New York City Ballet, who was in the third act tonight, has her own vlog on the Huffington Post.  She regularly reports via videos on the work of being a dancer – very behind the scenes on how the ballet world works. You can certainly go see her again with the NYC Ballet this fall if you wish.

The stars of the tango piece tonight, Gabriel Misse and Analia Centurion, were reviewed in The Times this August – interestingly not all that positive a review especially given that so many of us seemed to enjoy the tango.  While from Buenos Aires, from what I can tell they are now based in NY and they teach here.  Many of their performances are on You Tube.

The Richard Alston Dance Company, who opened tonight,  are from the UK, where they are back touring next week. I was so surprised to learn that they were British with their homage of sorts to America both the dance and Scott Joplin music they performed tonight.

Remember, you may pursue any opportunities to see more dance for your review, keep it in mind for our magazine or feel free to review tonight’s performance.