A Rocky View

As I was going up the stairs in Ingersoll, I was surprised to see a large painting on the wall. It took up most of the wall.

The art piece is a painting of a rocky landscape. One of my favorite parts about the painting is how the waterfalls were painted in. The added white coloring made the waterfalls appear life-like. Overall, the landscape seems kind of dangerous because there were so many rocks in the bodies of water. The coloring is also very subdued.

My first impression was that the painting seemed kind of out of place. However, as I went up to the fourth floor in Ingersoll, there were earth science classes. The painting then gave off the feeling that it was introducing this subject of science before going into the classroom. This realization made me come to the conclusion that the painting was purposely chosen to be placed there.

Upon closer inspection, I noticed that there is no title, artist, or description. I felt that the artist’s purpose was to show how there is beauty in other types of nature. Usually when one thinks of nature’s beauty, he or she chooses flowery meadows or sandy beaches. Instead, the rocky landscape was chosen to display a more subdued sort of beauty. It is visible, but one has to take the time to observe and appreciate it. I was lucky enough to encounter the artwork when I was not in a rush. Otherwise, I would not have taken the time to stop and appreciate it as much. It was truly a lovely surprise to discover.