Grand Central Catwalk Poster

Grand Central Catwalk Poster

When I get on the train, I rarely ever fall asleep. I tend to simply listen to whatever music is on my phone and observe my surroundings. The MTA posts artwork on the trains, and I pay special attention to these posters during my train rides. This particular piece is a favorite of mine: the Grand Central Catwalk Poster.

It is a relatively newly commissioned work of public art that has been added to the MTA art gallery. Unfortunately, I could not find out the name of the artist who created this piece. If I knew who created this piece, I probably would ask him, “why this style?” I have only been to Grand Central once, with Rana and Neelima a week or two ago, and I have only just experienced its grandeur. Thus, when I see this poster now, I can’t help but point out how his image of Grand Central does not illustrate the terminal perfectly. I do see the constellations and the golden clock in the center, but what about the people? Everyone in the pictures seems fantastically dressed–almost all seem to be heading for a ball!

This artist illustrates Grand Central in a dreamy and artistic fashion, something that is not entirely accurate, but still embodies Grand Central’s beauty. The color scheme is peach, turquoise, and pink, and adds to the vibrant and dreamy theme, and some of the people’s actions and clothes are fantastical: the man with the suitcase walks with such emphasis, the woman to the left with the amazingly decorated hat (which blends in to the background), and the woman to the right with the dress and hat that also blends in with the background. This work, I believe, is meant to last a long time for it illustrates the idea of Grand Central for those who have never seen it; it will make them feel both doubtful and intrigued at the same time, saying to themselves “I know something is off about this picture, but it is still beautiful. I wonder if Grand Central really looks like this”. Whether day or night, this artwork gleams with the brightness of the luminescent bulbs within the train and can attract any pair of eyes with its vibrant color scheme and unnatural beauty.