Meaningful art or a bunch of color?

Meaningful art or a bunch of color?

Every day on my way to school I see this street art. The length of this piece and the variety of colors makes it eye catching. This alone is very ironic since the only way one would see this piece is if they are riding the Staten Island Railroad or go behind the auto-shop. It was also difficult to capture the imagine due to the fence that separates the railroad from the buildings. This makes one wonder who was actually meant to perceive this image?

When viewing this piece of graffiti one may find it difficult to decipher what is actually going on. However, if one encounters it on a daily basis certain parts will eventually stick out among the other content. The longer you stare at it the more you notice. This experience occurred to me. At first I noticed a man with a dark afro in a cheetah outfit. Next, I saw a joyful purple octopus. Once I discovered the two men in white outfits who look like bandits and are using their fingers as guns, this picture became meaningful. This made me realize that perhaps this graffiti is a satire. Considering that it is located in Stapleton, near the Staten Island Ferry, which isn’t the most pleasant neighborhood led to the assumption that those two men represented the people which reside there. In my interpretation this depicts how society conforms to fit.

To the right of all of that there is an American flag advertising the auto shop near which it is painted. This proves that this piece is commissioned. Since the flag is half painted over, one can assume that this piece is not meant to last. This makes me wonder if the same artist adjusts the image or is someone else contributing?

For graffiti which is not easily visible to the public as other art is, this colorful spray painting sure did provoke a lot of thought in me (the viewer). I enjoy seeing it on a daily basis and often wonder if it has a purpose or if the owner simply wanted to add some color to his lifeless shop.