R3AL

R3AL

I typically see this sticker on the stop sign at the end of my block, but unfortunately it was washed out in the rain. Luckily, I spotted it again in my neighborhood and was able to get this photo.

I actually see “R3AL” stickers quite often – on the subway, on the street, on posts. I happen to personally know the artist who started the “R3AL” movement, so whenever I see it, I feel proud that he’s establishing himself in my community and far beyond it. The “R3AL” movement, as it’s referred to, is relatively new, approximately two years old. I have seen variations of the stickers, some saying “R3AL Monsters” (which is the name of the company itself) and others saying  “R3AL” with the New York City skyline within the word. The sticker that was on my block was made from regular sticker paper with “R3AL” stenciled with spray paint and a resin coating. Others I have seen are vinyl printed, like the one in the image above.

The purpose of “R3AL” is to remind people to stay true to who they are and what they believe in. With such a broad message comes the need to spread it everywhere, hence why you may see people wearing “R3AL Monsters” clothing, and different people, not just the creator, slapping stickers around the city. However, the stickers are relatively small, approximately the size of a standard index card, some a little bigger. This is probably because it would be considered vandalism, so the best thing to do is play it safe and keep it small. Sometimes it takes me visiting a certain area a few times for me to notice a sticker there so it’s become a sort of game to me, as I’ve been mentally noting all the places I’ve seen it. I also find it fun telling others about it, because most of the time they come back and tell me they’ve started to notice it around their own neighborhood. Hopefully you all will notice it too!