Vandalog

As the title may suggest, Vandalog is about “vandalism”, or more appropriately, street art. The site does not focus on just one geographic area, or one specific style of art. The writers include artists from all over the world and the art included varies from spray paints, to wheat paste, to murals, to yarn art, to even garbage art.

The website launched in October of 2008, and seems to be quite popular, having links to Complex Magazine, a pop culture magazine. It is run by “20 something year old” Editor and chief RJ Rushmore and contributing writer, Catherine Caldwell. There are many other writers who contribute to the page and their names can be found in the “About” section of the site.

Many friends of mine are also street artists, so over the past year, I have gained interest in this forbidden form of art. I actually admire that the site has a search box – yes, this is a small detail, but allows the viewer to view more posts about a specific artist, style of art, or region. I have recently taken interest in yarn art after following artist HOTTEA on Instagram, and was excited to see there were posts of his work as well links to the work of other yarn artists I have never heard of. Whether you are a person who knows very little about the street art world (like myself), or participate in it, Vandalog seems to be the site to visit to learn, or be updated on the latest projects.

Perhaps Vandalog is simple in its layout to avoid taking away from its content – the font is simple, as is the logo and the black and white color scheme. Vandalog moderates its comments, and does not post any comments that include inappropriate or excessively obscene language. This gives the site a more professional feel, which makes the viewer forget that the art they are admiring was done illegally.