Listen

7:30 A.M.

Sounds heard in Downtown Brooklyn aren’t too unique to the neighborhood. What’s unique is the evolution of the sounds throughout the day. On my morning visit the most prominent sounds were women’s heels and men’s polished shoes running down the steel steps. The tellers behind the glass selling tickets sounded muffled with the microphones, the kiosks printing and cutting tickets, the swipes of MetroCards, the Starbucks baristas were screaming, “John, Peter, Rashelle” (oops that’s me!). There was a constant feeling of tension, running and rushing. I hear the announcement that my train is on track 9, time to start running to make the train that will arrive in 5 minutes. You hear most of the people talking English about the news, politics, and work. All of a sudden, the train comes and sounds everyone out, all you hear is the wheels of the train and the gust of wind that almost took my ticket out of my hand. The train, is quiet. DO NOT BE THAT GUY TO TALK ON A QUIET TRAIN (trust me it’s embarrassing).

12:15 P.M.

During a quiet winter day in Downtown Brooklyn, all I heard was taxis, Citi Buses, drilling in the road, and the speed cameras clicking every time someone was going over 25 miles per hour. Some stores were lifting the gates and the chains were clicking together. Although the streets were quiet, the words spoken at this time were the loudest. Two business owners let me listen in on the way they did business. More importantly they told me about how the environment has changed in their eyes over the years.

3:30 P.M.

This seems to be the time that this part of the borough starts to come alive. Students and workers are rushing out of the train stations excited to get home. I hear people ordering dinner, and picking up takeout. Mothers are talking to their children about their day at school. There is a constant honking at the construction workers who are trying to finish up their jobs so they can get home so they block off the street and also at the bus drivers who take up the entire street. Bicyclists ringing their bells trying not to get hit by school buses. Motorcyclists are just making loud noises with their engine making kids cry. Lawyers are convincing their clients to take the deal or ask for a dismissal. I hear keys hitting each other. Cars are unlocking. Valet workers are screaming at each other and lowering cars from the lifts. I hear different music starting to be played by the different ethnic restaurants in the area.

10:35 PM

Good weather, outdoor seating, gorgeous scenery=good vibes. Taxi door slamming, and restaurant doors swinging opened and closed. You hear the repetition of the hostess asking: “How many are in your party?” I just hear young couples and friends talking and laughing. I hear them ordering alcoholic beverages. They’re talking about work and the kids. There was this one couple on their first date that met on Tindr, so you could just hear the awkwardness of their conversation of the couple just getting to know each other. As the day comes to an end, the language and welcoming environment of Downtown Brooklyn never changes. The atmosphere was always warm, family life and exciting. The sounds matched different parts of the city at different times during the day, all within the few miles of the borough itself.