Oct 19 2009

Dear Michelangelo, Being Bad Never Felt So Good

Published by Nguyen Chi under Michelangelo's First Painting

I looked at Michelangelo’s first painting and said to myself: “Thank God, he didn’t start out as a genius.”

It is clear that Michelangelo’s “The Torment of Saint Anthony” cannot (and should not) be compared to his much later work like the “Sistine Chapel” or “David.” It lacks the technical skill and the refined style that belong to an older and more mature Michelangelo. This first painting, however, brought out a whole new dimension to this brilliant Renaissance man that many overlooked. If  “The Torment of Saint Anthony” achieves anything, it definitely succeeds in portraying Michelangelo as an authentic and genuine person, simply because his first work is not a masterpiece.

I was glad to see that behind every legacy, there is a beginning. Even Michelangelo had to copy someone’s else work in order to develop his own balance and style. This work alone embodies the ideology of “practice makes perfect.” And I believe this is the message that should be sent out to all parents and teachers who want their children to become the next Michelangelo, Einstein, or Nelson Mandela.

Of course, I am not encouraging children to violate copyright laws; however, I am encouraging them to be inspired by the people who they look up to. What am I talking about is taking a little bit of Van Gogh and mixing it with a little bit of Degas then top it off with your own personal style. The lesson is not to make your art looking like someone else’s, but to use their paths to pave your own highway.

So I want to thank Michelangelo for painting “The Torment of St. Anthony” at the age of 12. Because without it, he would be just another bright example that kids can look up to, but cannot fully appreciate.

To see further details of “The Torment of St. Anthony,” please visit the New York Times slideshow.

Comments Off on Dear Michelangelo, Being Bad Never Felt So Good

Comments are closed at this time.