Oct 22 2009

Menacing Insect? Or White Anglo-Saxon Protestant?

Published by Jensen Rong under Short Films

Suspenseful stories are like snuff films, not of a random victim, but of the poor main character, of whom the director and writer subjects to acts upon acts of emotional and sometimes physical torment in order to instill a sadomasochistic twist of enjoyment and discomfort in the viewer, but not really.

Zoe and her children in the midst of family-bonding time.

The short film “WASP” is a powerful story, and it made good use of suspense in its tense moments, most especially in the rising action of the film.  The people who were watching it with me were noticeably edgy and perturbed, but still clung on out of curiosity for the events that were about to unfold.

The writer and director both did an excellent job of portraying a sympathetic character, a flawed character, but an understandable one.

The protagonist Zoe is shown to be a highly complicated character in the few minute runtime of the film.  I commended her for her effort to raise four children alone while finding myself condemning her for believing that she could still go out and “have a life” despite the gravity of the responsibilities placed on her.  This kind of dualism made an effective driving force for the conflict of the story.

The best part of it is that Zoe is a dynamic character.  She was childish and selfish in leaving her children behind for her own happiness but eventually grew to sacrifice her contentment for their welfare. Her children show some precociousness too, especially in the oldest daughter who was perceptive of her mother’s situation (even critical of her approach) and fills in the motherhood role time to time.

In the end, it is not quite certain whether or not David decides to help her provide for her children, but this kind of ambiguity lends for a more powerful ending.

Oh yeah, there is just one slight flaw that I saw in it.  In the rising action of the film, which is the scene when the children were left alone in the parking lot and one of the children was crying from hunger.  The eldest daughter finds half-eaten spare ribs lying around to satisfy the baby’s hunger, but the sweet smell attracts a wasp, which landed on his lips.

The mood of terror was there in the film, and I felt it at first, but then my inner skeptic came in and I found the scene to be unbelievable.  I felt that the danger brought by the wasp was way exaggerated.  The children and many of my classmates thought as if the wasp was some kind of parasitic alien that was going to lay its eggs inside of him so the larvae would have something to eat once they hatch.   Also this belief came from basic zoology: Wasps don’t sting unless they feel threatened, and even then they are aware that their sting is a suicidal last resort.

Speaking of which, I have no clue why this film is called “WASP.”  At first I thought it stood for “White Anglo-Saxon Protestant” when I saw the main characters for the first time.  Later on, I found out that it was used as a motif when a literal wasp was tapping on the glass of the family home.  So what could it mean? Could the wasp generally represent trouble that will come to haunt families after a history of poverty and neglect? If this is the case then it could’ve been any winged insect.

They should’ve called the movie “BOTFLY.”  I really hate botflies.

2 Responses to “Menacing Insect? Or White Anglo-Saxon Protestant?”

1.   Alina Pavlovaon 28 Oct 2009 at 3:55 pm

let me begin by saying that I LOVE YOUR TITLE!
    i actually thought that thw movie was going to be about a white anglo-saxon protestant. especially when i saw that it was set in england. and then it turned out that the title was actually very literal. im glad you also felt the mild confusion.

i completely agree with you on everything you said here (minus the argument to change the title). The directors decision to make Zoe into a dynamic character was vital for the viewer to be able to sympathize with her at the end, understand her, and cut her some slack. And i am certainly glad that you did find sympathy for her – a lot of people, especially boys, couldnt.

I think it takes some intelligence to understand Zoe, and understand that she wasnt just about being selfish and psycho. she had a lot of great qualities about her as a mother, primarily that she always put the interest of her kids before her own. maybe it was a little irresponsible for her to leave her children in the parking lot as she was having fun at a bar, but it was better than leaving the kids at home – further away from her, and predisposed to hurting themselves (with gas, matches, water, knives, anything).

i disagree, however, with you about your disappointment with the climax of the film. I think that it was perfect because it showed Zoe’s helplessness. i think that as a mother, she was willing to do anything to protect her kids (evident when she fought with another woman at the start of the movie), but when the wasp flew into her child’s mouth, she couldnt do anything. she couldnt shoo it away or hit it because that would aggravate the insect and increase the chances of it stinging the baby.

And jensen, as far as what you feel about the insect – i dont know if you’ve ever gotten bitten by a wasp, but ill tell you from experience that it is one of the worst things that can happen to you. a bee sting doesnt compare to the pain of a wasp’s sting. so the danger was definitely there, i guess you just couldnt relate.

great piece, dude 🙂

2.   Sijia Sunon 26 Oct 2009 at 7:58 pm

WASP = White Anglo-Saxon Protestant? You must have been great at American History about Roosevelt’s New Deal part. Compliments aside, I don’t think that the wasp represents the something that will haunt Zoe and her children. In my opinion, it serves more like a warning to her, that she needs to really take care of her children or she can lose them.