Oct 28 2009

Ironic…

Published by Alina Pavlova under Short Films

I love movies that can highlight the irony inherent in life.

This independent film, “The Savior” was simply bizarre.  The lighting of movie gave it a strange vibe, making the mood somewhat creepy.  The uniformly dressed men weren’t introduced at first, and it was difficult to understand what their purpose was, at first.  Then, it became clear that they were part of a religious cult, and it made a lot of sense.

Aside from that, it was so lovely how ironic it was that a man preaching to the townspeople to buy the Bible and conform to religious beliefs, was engaging in adultery with a married woman, in other words, sinning.  It was also marvelous how this woman became his addiction – he couldn’t seem to live without her, whether because he was emotionally attached, or simply because he enjoyed the sex so much.

Another ironic element in the movie is that the man – this “savior” that the woman was cheating on her husband with was not physically attractive.  He was chubby and did not have good facial features.  Her husband, on the other hand, was a very good looking man, who was also physically fit.

And lastly, the movie concludes with the “savior” finding out that his mistress is pregnant – with his child!  This is after he pays her husband a visit and he reveals that after many months of trying, she has finally been able to conceive a baby.  Ironic, as the husband is not the real father.  Ironic, as the husband thinks that the “savior” helped them with the situation through God.  Ironic, because the “savior” literally helped the couple conceive a child.

The movie was great.  It carried a note of sadness, with respect to the poor, preaching savior – as he was used, and left with a slap on the face after thinking his romance was genuine and meaningful.  It also carried a note of pity, for the husband, who is clueless about the fact that his child is not actually his, and that the person who thinks has done him good by bringing God into his house, actually corrupted his family (in a way).

Example of Irony.

Here are some more giggles about life’s ironies.

2 Responses to “Ironic…”

1.   Amrita Narineon 26 Nov 2009 at 8:25 pm

I thought the way the irony was used in this film was amazing. I actually feel very ambivalent about the main character. On one hand, he was preaching something that he clearly isn’t practicing. But, on the other hand, it did seem as though he had feelings for the woman (though like you, I’m not sure if it was for her or for the sex). I wasn’t sure if I should think he’s a terrible person for committing the adultery, or feel bad because he’s going to have a child, but the child will never know him.

2.   Fabiana Sagreraon 31 Oct 2009 at 11:00 pm

I also thought the irony was awesome. It is funny that you mention how ugly he was. I guess the husband will realize that it wasn’t a miracle after all when the baby looked all messed up. 🙂