Dec 07 2009

I don’t get it

Published by blah under Brooklyn Museum - New Feminist Video

All the videos were supposed to represent some part of a woman’s role. I didn’t get the message. How is this feminist in any way? It was only after I read the descriptions of the videos that I understood what they were trying to convey. Maybe it was a bit too abstract for me to understand.

I liked the visual that the first video provided for the painted boxes on the shelves, but other than that I don’t really know what to say about the other videos.

4 Responses to “I don’t get it”

1.   Aon 11 Dec 2009 at 6:56 pm

I LOVE your title. I didn’t get it either. Maybe I’m just too thick.

2.   Mary Prioloon 08 Dec 2009 at 6:30 pm

You were absolutely not the only one that the meaning was lost on for the most part. I understood some of them but others just either didnt represent Feminisim well or i just didnt look deep enough. Maybe we just dont see it the way the creators did, making it much harder to understand the meaning.

3.   Harshita Parikhon 08 Dec 2009 at 2:13 pm

It can be a little bit confusing in the beginning, but if you look at them carefully, you will notice that all of them in some way or the other represent “breaking free”. All the women artists are trying to portray their radical views through this medium which i think they wouldn’t have been able to do otherwise.

4.   Zerxis Presson 08 Dec 2009 at 1:41 pm

The videos were extremely abstract, and don’t worry, you were definitely not the only one who had a hard time understanding what was going on.

I believe though that it was the uniqueness of these videos, and their complexity, that forces the viewer to stand in front of them, and think twice as hard about the message they are conveying.