Dec 09 2009

Anything you can do i can do better.. i think

Published by Mary Priolo under Brooklyn Museum - New Feminist Video

In the grand scheme of life, Feminism is a fairly new concept. My first impression as I walked into the museum was that this was going to be another “girls can do anything guys can do” theme. I was both right and wrong.” As always and need be for Feminism that does need to be the theme but the way that it was gone about was very abstract, at least some of them.
The movie of the woman doing physical labor with boxes gave me that, “well this isn’t anything new”, feeling. In all honesty its not that woman can’t do everything men can, but if you took a very heavy box, many more men would be able to pick it up than women, its just how were born. So I was quite unimpressed by my first impression.
However as I went on the movie of the girl dropping signs that read, “There are no happy ending.” At first I was thinking, well now that’s just untrue, sometimes there are, and sometimes there not. I didn’t get the meaning, and after reading the description I understood more that everything isn’t always about happy endings, and a lot of the time this applies to women. I found this to be a nice change in how Feminism was represented.
images[7]

4 Responses to “Anything you can do i can do better.. i think”

1.   Aon 11 Dec 2009 at 7:02 pm

I found the best way to appreciate the exhibition was to go in with no preconceived notions. I say that not because I went in without any myself (which I didn’t), but rather because my own preconceived notions just made me confused about the message of the work.

2.   alexxxon 10 Dec 2009 at 6:34 pm

I am glad that you admit that the efforts of feminists have become cliche and they need a new approach to define themselves. The exhibit did an exemplary job at doing so. It gave me, a complete stranger to the whole feminist movement, both the old and the new.

3.   Nathaly Martinezon 09 Dec 2009 at 11:52 pm

That was not my favorite part of the exhibit because I did not get the message either. My favorite video was the commercials because I think she is really good at expressing feminism in the “not so typical way.” She inspired me to become funnier…not that I am not already.

4.   Alina Pavlovaon 09 Dec 2009 at 12:14 pm

i completely agree. i think the exhibit did a great job of defining what feminism is.
    from labor, to boyish looks, to binges on alcohol and drugs. the exhibition really portrayed women tried to break out of the standards set by society.
    i also REALLY liked the movie about “no happy endings.” and just like you at first i disagreed, but after reading the description about how hollywood creates the false perception that everything always ends happily.