Dec 10 2009

It’s not always black and white

Published by blah under Danny Senna

Her memoir had a nostalgic tone, but it was different from most memoirs. Most of the blogs talk about how Danzy Senna tries to find herself, but I think by that time she had already found herself. She just didn’t know how to place herself in the midst of both worlds. I actually found it touching. I could relate to the same experience. No, I’m not from a bi-racial family, but I still have two identities. I’m Chinese-American.

It doesn’t sound too special or strange, but when I was growing up I found that I could fit into either groups too much. I didn’t have too many Chinese friends because I didn’t like their choice in music or their taste in clothes. I didn’t have too many “American” friends because of our different points-of-view. So I was really sympathetic of her feelings for her surroundings. It was nice that someone else can share a similar story.

5 responses so far

5 Responses to “It’s not always black and white”

1.   Aon 12 Dec 2009 at 3:45 pm

That’s an interesting idea of a dual identity by being Chinese-American, versus the traditional idea of dual identity being that similar to what Danzy Senna felt, being bi-racial.

2.   Amrita Narineon 12 Dec 2009 at 1:44 am

I agree with Zerxis and Kay. I hope you found a balance with our diverse group. :]

3.   Jason Waton 11 Dec 2009 at 11:45 pm

I guess it could be relatable but it seems like her identity is to a much bigger extent so I thought it would not be anywhere close to compare her life with others.

4.   Zerxis Presson 10 Dec 2009 at 7:07 pm

Interesting interpretation; I did not even think about interpreting her memoir this way.

5.   Kay Mokon 10 Dec 2009 at 3:31 pm

It’s very interesting that you relate this to your dual identity. This is true for me as well as a dual citizen of both the US and Hong Kong. Now you got me thinking.