Dec 11 2009

The Past

Published by Jason Wat under Danny Senna

senna-danzy-c-anne-fishbeinDanny Senna’s Where Did You Sleep Last Night? showed us her past as a bi-racial child of a black father and a white mother. I thought it was interesting how she wrote about her family and her father’s past. Even with her father’s disapproval of the book, Senna continued with it. It seems to be me that Senna’s strength to write about this comes from her curiosity to know the past. With the family problems that she had, I thought that Senna does a great job in sharing it with us in her book. To a  lesser extreme, her story made me think about my own family. I remembered all the time s I had with my family and how my dad always said that I have a very good life compared to him when he was my age. It makes we wonder how hard my dad’s life was back then and the struggles he went through to be where he is now.

5 Responses to “The Past”

1.   Aon 12 Dec 2009 at 2:09 pm

I dunno if I agree with you Rhianna, these concepts of “strength” regarding Senna and the feminist videos seemed to be different types of “strength” and struggle.

2.   Zerxis Presson 11 Dec 2009 at 11:53 pm

Rhianna: I like your comparison of her strenght with the Brooklyn Feminism exhibition; quite apt.

3.   solanaon 11 Dec 2009 at 11:46 pm

I’m not really sure what you guys mean when you say that she “deserves more credit.” She was able to find her family’s story and then tell the world about it. What more does she “deserve?”

4.   Samanthaon 11 Dec 2009 at 8:01 pm

I agree that she does deserve more credit than she is necessarily given, and I also think Jason should talk to his father about his past to find out what kind of life he has led. I’m sure it will be interesting.

5.   Rhianna Mohamedon 11 Dec 2009 at 5:23 pm

Jason, the strength you talk about in your blog is so parallel to the picture you’ve posted of her. Her “strength” goes hand-in-hand with the feminism exhibition at the Brooklyn Museum. She deserves more credit than that which we’ve given her.