Dec 11 2009

Redundant Videos or Various Meanings?

Published by Jason Wat under Brooklyn Museum - New Feminist Video

blood_from_a_stone_3As I walked around watching the videos in the Reflections on the Electric Mirror: New Feminist Video Exhibition, there seemed to be a lot of videos that were hard to understand and somewhat redundant and meaningless. Most of the videos seemed like the women were doing short, small actions that only took five seconds but repeated doing that action for five minutes. However, there was a meaning behind each one but it was just hard for me to grasp. The first video I watched was when the lady were putting up blocks onto a relatively high shelf attached to the wall. There wasn’t a description to this video or at least I didn’t find it but it seemed to me that the message she was trying to show was that no matter how heavy the blocks were and no matter how high the shelves were, she still took the time and effort to put the blocks on the shelves. However, it was a rather long process that seemed to make me lose interest after she put up the first two blocks. What I did not understand was where the paint came from and what was the purpose of it.

5 Responses to “Redundant Videos or Various Meanings?”

1.   Zerxis Presson 12 Dec 2009 at 2:20 pm

I understand the purpose of lifting the boxes, but like Jason, not why the paint flows outwards.

Rhianna: I am sure even Abushale understood the point of the exhibit as a whole, although some individual videos were difficult to understand.

2.   Aon 12 Dec 2009 at 2:12 pm

It’s because I didn’t get it…

3.   Rhianna Mohamedon 11 Dec 2009 at 3:33 pm

His sarcasm, I’m sure, had a lot of truth to it (for him).

4.   Sai Maon 11 Dec 2009 at 3:23 pm

A, for one, had a rough outing at the exhibit. He wasn’t very impressed with these videos and he let his sarcasm be known.

5.   Rhianna Mohamedon 11 Dec 2009 at 3:08 pm

They were showing a woman doing a strenuous task, Jason!! You proved my point exactly; men just wouldn’t understand the meanings of the videos in the exhibit. I don’t blame you though.