Written by Deanna Pisacreta

Born in America, Made in China Victoria Cheng's History

Born in America, Made in China Victoria Cheng's by Deanna Pisacreta

“I kept the Chinese traditions in my family.”

Victoria Cheng has grown up in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn. Her mother came alone in 1992, when she was about 19, looking for freedom, both civil rights and from family.  At the time corruption flooded businesses, most of it being “under the table”; Victoria’s mother wanted away from it all. Moving to 8th Avenue, which now very strong Chinese influence, keeping her roots close to her as she transitioned to her new home.

Victoria’s mother when she first arrived in America.

Victoria’s father and grandfather originally moved from China to Venezuela, in 1973, in search of a better standard of living, and better jobs. He then moved to America in 1985, for that same reason. Once Victoria’s parents were married, they moved to Bensonhurst because that was where her father lived.

Victoria’s family when they first arrived from Venezuela. Green: her uncles; Black: her father; Orange: her grandmother; Red: her grandfather; Blue: her aunt.

“What I consider American, like watching the Super Bowl and football, I don’t necessarily follow because it was just never an influence because it was very traditional.”

Although she was born in America, Victoria feels much more connected to her Chinese heritage than anything else. Being brought up largely by her grandmother, Victoria was brought up in a very traditional household. Because of this, she identifies as more Chinese than American.

She holds her Chinese heritage very close to her heart. For Chinese New Year, her and her family keep decorations hung around the house for good luck. The statues of the three main Buddhist gods, as well as other decorations, are placed in the house in order to ward off evil spirits.

Victoria has gone back to China to visit the family she still has there, she considers Hong Kong to be “home“, because it is where her father and grandfather come from. When asked if she feels connected to the extended family she met while in China, Victoria said that on a personal level, no because she doesn’t know them very well. However, “The things that we do, and how we make conversation is very similar. Maybe because it’s family, or maybe it’s just because the cultures are very similar, but yeah on some I guess I am.”

Even with the strong ties to her Chinese background, Victoria does believe growing up in New York City has given her values that she doesn’t necessarily believe she would’ve gotten elsewhere. She has grown up to become much more open and accepting than her parents, who still hold stereotypes close to them.

“Being in this city, being in Brooklyn, I’m used to diversity. I’m used to seeing all types of people, all types of sexualities, all different types of genders, and races, so I hold that openness close to my heart…I think New York City is very unique, in that it’s one of the places where new immigrants come in. So you see the new immigrants as well as the people that had been here for generations and generations.”

You can hear in this audio recording how much coming from a Chinese immigrant background means to Victoria. She has learned invaluable lessons, and been brought up with values that she may not have had otherwise.

Be the first to leave a comment!