Ethnic Succession

Max Arthur Herman’s theory regarding the mechanisms that cause ethnic succession divides development into three categories: the residential, the economic and the political. Essentially, Herman states that the transition of ethnic groups is dependent upon access to housing, competition in labor markets, and fair representation in government. It is when one group unfairly monopolizes these components, Herman argues, that cultural, racial and religious differences become a source of contention.

While I agree that access to houses, jobs, and political positions are critical to any ethnic group’s integration into a new neighborhood and the struggle for various groups to control these aspects can unquestionably provoke conflicts, I find several problems with this model. I fail to see a way in which we can establish, “structural mechanisms

that allow for the residential, economic, and political inclusion of both newcomers and natives.”

It is not clear exactly who or what entity Herman is suggesting should enforce this inclusion. If it is assumed that he is alluding to some kind of governmental mandate, I cannot envision how the government could feasibly divide housing and jobs in neighborhoods even if we set aside the fact that it would be a blatant violation of the free market. Who would decide what ethnic groups should have “space” (homes, jobs and political positions) allotted to them? What percentage should each group be granted? What if a new group wants to transition into the neighborhood – how many should be allowed in, so as not to take the “place” of other ethnic groups? I do not see any kind of solution in Herman’s statement.