Arts in New York City: Baruch College, Fall 2008, Professor Roslyn Bernstein

Me, On Being Single.

“What is the difference between solitude and loneliness?” I asked my friend Hayley, catching her off guard. “Umm, you choose solitude?” She answered in the form of a question. It was spring and the two forms of singularity had been on my mind since my four-hour bus ride from New York City back home to DC. To me, loneliness implied pain, and solitude; peace. I wasn’t sure of a concrete conclusion yet, however, and I wanted another’s input. Her answer threw me for a loop, as I’m sure my question had done to her.

I have always been a very independent person with both parents working full time basically since I was born. Growing up, I have known loneliness. I was a sensitive child, but I became somewhat calloused as I grew older, accepting the separation between my parents and me. Instead of being a loner though, I busied myself with friendships, school, clubs, church, and swimming. When I was at my house, however, I usually retreated into my bedroom, which was my art studio, concert hall, office, and sanctuary. Still, being locked up in my “sanctuary” sometimes felt like hell when my parents forced me to stay home.

In New York City, I had been looking at Baruch College, knowing that it was fated to be my future destination. I booked a room at the YMCA in the city for a night, keeping in mind that I would most likely be housing there during my first fall semester. The peace of the single room was elusively comforting. I was looking forward so much to rooming in a single, my own place. After getting accepted to the Macaulay Honors College, my dad put up a down payment for a single room for me at the Y.

Starting college was a big transition and the hardest part ended up to be living by myself. No matter how cozy I make my room, I get antsy being in it alone for too long. The homework placed in front of me adds to my desire to find places to go and people to talk to. I love walking the halls to talk to floor mates and finding people outside to socialize with is a comfort. I get a thrill from hanging out with others. I have come to realize that having a roommate would probably suit me better than living alone because the company of others is uplifting. Also, the peace I first felt during my early escapes from my home is now a rare occurrence. The change of scenery and the influx of new people to befriend have changed my opinion of living alone. When my loneliness was out of my control back home with my parents, I used to be miserable, but now, choosing to live alone hasn’t brought the immense solitude I initially desired. The fine line between solitude and loneliness still eludes me, but self-reflection helps me to understand that “needing others” isn’t as much of a weakness as it is strength to be able to enjoy the company of others.

1 Kamellia Saroop { 11.17.08 at 3:16 am }

Focusing on your transition into college was a smart idea for this piece. It helps your reader understand different aspects of your personality and what you enjoy. On a different note, I especially loved the quote: “When I was at my house, however, I usually retreated into my bedroom, which was my art studio, concert hall, office, and sanctuary. ” It made me appreciate my room more, hehe.
Overall, good introduction into something that most people fear: loneliness.

2 Viorika Rybak { 12.10.08 at 5:57 pm }

Emily, I think this is a great piece of writing. I have always wanted to live alone, and I have been begging my parents for years but they keep saying no. I realize it would be hard, but now that I’m in college, I fee like I need more freedom and live by myself. After reading this piece, I must say I’m not really in the mood to move out anymore. But that’s besides the point. The sentence that Kamellia pointed out is a really beautiful sentence. My room is all of those things, and I can shape it into anything I want it to be. Good job!

3 Yuliya { 12.16.08 at 8:23 pm }

I also have a lot of mixed feelings about this topic. My dad had to move out when he was 14 in order to attend school, so according to him it is not the best experience. I agree with that, but I also think that it might be interesting to live alone. Anyways, great job on this piece. I especially liked your friend’s response to your question because I think the way you do, so it threw me off guard.