Arts in New York City: Baruch College, Fall 2008, Professor Roslyn Bernstein

An About Face, About Time Too.

"art for arts sake"

"art for arts sake"

My mentor once told me, “Artists need an ego to protect them from the cold, cold world”. That being said, I feel that one of my proudest achievements is in my ability to continually paint things in a good light. Pun intended.

However it wasn’t always that way. I can not say that I instinctively created copious amounts of work as a child. The only thing that my background as a Hispanic and daughter of parents with no artistic talent did was make me more determined to pursue my art. I felt fully original in my pursuit of something that wasn’t genetically inherent in my family.

I will have to approach this subject no differently than anything I make a study of. Realistically. My interest in Art with a capital A was not inspired by a master or any such thing but rather the result of a program fluke courtesy of the Board of Education of New York. I was placed in a mandatory Studio Art class for juniors in my sophomore year and I found out that I loved art as a result of the class This experience led to me immersing myself in more classes. I took a museum studies class that focused on visiting the various museums in New York to sketch. It was then that I realized how lucky I was to live in a city with so much to offer artists. I didn’t see the point in just working on my own portfolio so I helped out my school by painting murals and sets for plays. This newfound talent bolstered my sense of achievement and most importantly I found happiness doing it.

I see my art as a reflection of myself. I have a mixed aesthetic when it comes to my work. I cannot bear to be abstract or idealistic when it comes to sketching or painting. I feel that it is another form of dishonesty and not at all fair to a subject. I would much rather spend an incredible amount of time in the intense pursuit of perfection.  However, my art has also made me realize that I am only human and sometimes my interpretation of a theme, subject or model is what reveals my identity and personality. It is in this form of expression that I find freedom and a sense of accomplishment all my own and I am proud of that.

1 emilymusgrove { 11.16.08 at 9:13 pm }

“Artists need an ego to protect them from the cold, cold world.” That quote reminds me of a lot of different Kanye West lyrics, for example, “How I suppose to stand out when everybody get dressed up
So yeah at the Grammies I went ultra Travolta
Yeah that tuxedo mighta been a little guido
But with my ego, I can stand there in a speedo…”
He is an extremely successful music artist and I do not think that would have been possible if he was not cocky. I think ego is justifiable if it allows you to follow your dreams, but one better be able to back up their claims. I like Kanye’s music, so I do not care if thinks he is extremely talented. I do, too.

2 Rachel { 11.17.08 at 2:21 pm }

It’s interesting that you ended up finding out about art through an accident. I think that is how a lot of things actually happen in life. No one thinks, “oh I think I’m going to be an aritist now”. Most people end up doing one thing which leads to the next, which eventually brings them to do something they never imagined they would.

3 Anna { 12.10.08 at 6:23 am }

I admire your and artistic talent because I have seen some of your artwork and they are simply beautiful! I love how any form of art can show what the artist is trying to portray to the public and how the public interprets it in return.

4 Viorika Rybak { 12.10.08 at 4:57 pm }

Katie, I had the exact same thing happen to me! During freshman or sophmore year of high school I had to take art, it was a requirement. And I guess my teacher and the projects we worked on, I found really interesting. One of the works I did even went to an art show!! I tried to draw and paint afterwards, but that’s just not my form of art. I do appreciate art though, and your work is beautiful. Keep it up, maybe we’ll see your work in an art exhibit soon! =)