Arts in New York City: Baruch College, Fall 2008, Professor Roslyn Bernstein

In Conflict – Voices That Made it Back

The Voices of Iraq Veterans

The Voices of Iraq Veterans

In Conflict is a play that gives voice to the stories of tragedy and triumph experienced by seventeen Iraq War veterans. They are the men and women from all over the country, of different backgrounds, various ranks, and different sexual orientations. These are the people that represent America. When I went to the play, I didn’t think I would be too interested since I thought I knew what war was like, from the action thrillers that get the top spots in box offices all across the world, and all the books that mention war.  I did not expect to be so moved by these real life stories of young men and women like me.  I also did not expect these stories to make me laugh or make me so sad.
Throughout the play, the concept of being “army strong” was accentuated. A lot of the soldiers that went to fight in the war did not know why they went to fight, they just did as they were told. Many of them had their own reasons for going to fight the war, some did it because they believed in America, they wanted to serve their country, and some wanted the free education that the army provides. They were told that they needed to fight so that the enemy wouldn’t come into their homes and take away their property, but as one soldier pointed out, “it was exactly what we were doing to them.”
Many soldiers lost their limbs, some lost all, but the most painful loss experienced by these soldiers was the loss of their soul. One soldier witnessed how a baby was driven over by a convoy of military vehicles over and over, after its mother was shot.  When he came back home, he became an alcoholic, a detrimental inclination many war veterans obtain. He says he drinks to keep the voices out of his head, and while he expected to be treated like a hero, but is treated “like a zero.”
The scenic design was not very shrewd; it had only two walls of which one side was a faded American flag, and the other a map. But then again, this may be so to add to the atmosphere of being in the army, there is not much to it. The soldiers perform their everyday things, and follow orders.  They are doing all of it for America, and the American flag. Other props included chairs, wheelchairs, desks, and bit of a treat, cookies (although I’m not sure if it was intended for us to eat.)
Another aspect of the play I did not quite enjoy was the fact that there were seventeen stories re-told and some of them seemed the same, partly because they were acted out by the same actors. Some of the stories, although interesting, sounded a bit too similar.  I got the overall feeling that the play was anti-war, although as I gathered from the talk back, it was intended to be neutral.
I enjoyed the play, and the way the actors fit into their roles and told their stories. I think a few things could have been changed, but it made me realize just what war is like. It is not what people think of it, certain moments of it can be fun, but at the same time very dangerous. You never know what kind of changed person you will come back as, or if you will even come back at all.

1 markbosse { 12.08.08 at 12:43 am }

Hi Vicky,
Could you explain your title? I’m not sure I understand.
Thanks

2 Viorika Rybak { 12.08.08 at 5:05 pm }

Sorry Mark, there was a typo. It’s supposed to be “Voices That Made it Back.” Sorry about that. Do you still want me to explain?