Arts in New York City: Baruch College, Fall 2008, Professor Roslyn Bernstein

The Importance of Friendship

Me and my best friend Maria

“A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out.”  – Anon

“What is a friend? A single soul dwelling in two bodies.” – Aristotle

“Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only true friends will leave footprints in your heart.”  – Anon

“If you have one true friend, you have more than your share.” – Thomas Fuller

“When it hurts to look back, and you’re scared to look ahead, you can look beside you and your best friend will be there.”

“A true friend is someone who knows there’s something wrong even when you have the biggest smile on your face.”

Having a best friend is one of the defining experiences of childhood. My best friend and I have proven to the world that friendship can survive through distance, arguments, and relationships. I met Maria in the lunchroom of Cavallaro Junior High School.  It was 2001 and Maria had been struggling with understanding the new language.  I came up to her, said “Hi” and reached out to shake hands.  She responded in Russian, greeting me and explaining to me that she just came to America and didn’t understand the language. We were in the same class, and had all the same classes. I was assigned to sit with her and help her to understand the learning material. It certainly wasn’t effortless to open up to someone new, to make friends with someone so different. But as time went on, as we became closer, I realized what a great person she is. Throughout junior high school, we were always in the same homeroom class and always had the same classes. We volunteered helping in different offices, and all the teachers became used to seeing us always together. If one of us wasn’t there, we were questioned as to why the other half was missing.
Unfortunately high school separated us, but only physically. We went to different schools, made new friends, and took different classes. Throughout high school we talked almost every single day and saw each other at least once a week. After high school we chose different intended majors and now attend different colleges, she’s in Hunter and I’m in Baruch, and every time we see each other we have a short battle of the Lexingtons, arguing whose school is better. (I think Baruch definitely wins this one.)
She is one of the very few people who can make me happy, or also disturbed. With her, I can be open and be myself; I can tell her anything and everything because I know she will listen, advising rather than judging. I can share my thoughts, secrets, and problems. I can trust her, one of the most important qualities in a friend. Not every person can consider themselves lucky. I know I can. As the saying goes, “If you have one true friend, you have more than your share.”
My best friend believes in me even when I find it difficult to believe in myself.  She tells me what I need to hear instead of what I want to hear. She opens up to me and trusts me with her biggest dreams and worst disappointments. She puts so much thought into our friendship. With her, I share so many good times and so many special memories. She is always kind to me, patient, there when I need her.
Future might throw us farther and farther apart but true friendship can surpass every obstacle and test through time. However different our careers, our lives will be, I know that there is a person in this world who will bring me comfort, put me at ease, cheer me up like no one can. True friends are those who inspire you to become the best you can ever be. They have full confidence in you and won’t rest until you achieve your goal. A saying goes, “Who finds a faithful friend, finds a treasure,” and I found mine.

1 Karen Pease { 12.06.08 at 11:53 pm }

How lucky, how blessed, to have found such a friend! I know from experience that having at least one TRUE friend can enrich a life like little else can. In my “tween” novel, Grumble Bluff, I write of just such a friendship, and celebrate its awesome power. Karen Bessey Pease, author of juvenile fiction, roomtomove@tds.net

2 Mark Bosse { 12.08.08 at 12:36 am }

Vicky,
This is so sweet. Friends like that are so rare, and it’s great to see you have found one. I also love your picture!

3 Keyana { 12.08.08 at 6:42 pm }

I could relate to your experience since my best friend and I have been separated (physically) since first grade. Despite this, we still maintain a wonderful friendship. Your piece was very moving and relatable. You should definitely show your friend the piece you wrote about her; your appreciation, love, and genuine friendship is very clear and admirable.

4 Christian Iezzi { 12.10.08 at 3:00 pm }

I thoroughly agree with the fact that true friendship should transcend time. I found this to be a very inspiring account of what a true friend should be. I like how you included quotes at the beginning, it was a clever tool to engage the reader.

5 Vince { 12.10.08 at 3:10 pm }

Why are your pictures so big? I don’t think it was necessary for such obnoxious pictures that take up the entire blog! I’m joking. Your friend i think was actually in my orientation group so i know her. So, yeh, i like your passion for friendship and i can relate to this.

6 Jack { 12.11.08 at 1:00 am }

Good thing to hear that you and your friends are still in close contact with each other after all these years. It is often difficult for people to talk to people who just came to this country. Unlike your friend, I had a really bad experience when I came to this country. I wish you were around when I came here in 2002 !