Arts in New York City: Baruch College, Fall 2008, Professor Roslyn Bernstein

Sports, Family, and Faith

When we were first given this project, I didn’t waste much time before I knew my theme.  I would put together a collaboration of different things that define me.  There are three things that I hold very highly in life: sports, family, and religion.  Ever since I was a child I knew these three aspects of my life would give me strength, power, and determination to succeed.  Surprisingly, as soon as I decided on this theme, I knew exactly what I wanted to include in the actual collage.

The first aspect of my life I knew I wanted to include was family.  I didn’t quite know what I could put on a piece of oak tag to represent family.  Then suddenly it hit me.  My family is Italian and we are very proud of it.  I decided to cut a keychain holder and put it on the collage.  This was the closest thing I had to representing my family without destroying memories.  Then, I realized that this wasn’t enough to put on the board because my family is such a huge part of my life.  I wracked my brain for hours trying to think of the perfect thing to represent my family and I the correct way.  I thought to myself, “What represents Italians more than food and The Godfather?”  The answer is nothing.  Since my resources weren’t the best, I decided to print out a picture of The Godfather and include it in my collage.  Now that my family and Italian heritage was represented correctly, I moved on.

The second thing I knew I needed to include in the collage was sports.  Sports have been a part of my life since the day I was born.  My parents tell me that I was born with a catcher’s mitt in my hand.  This is true because that was my first toy, a baby catcher’s mitt and a squishy, childproof ball.  Not only baseball, all sports have been in my blood forever.  I get my athleticism and love for sports from my father.  He was quite the athlete as a teenager.  To represent my passion for sports I included a few precious memories from my high school varsity baseball days.  A piece of my hat and a game-worn batting glove can be seen on the collage.  I also included pictures of other star athletes to portray my love for all sports, not just baseball.
The third and final aspect of my life that I wanted to show the class was religion.  I am a very religious person and use my faith for God to get me through tough times in my life.  To represent Christianity and my faith, I chose to put a picture of an angel and a set of rosary beads on the collage.  My family and I have religious pieces all over the house and even in all of the cars we own.  Each car is equipped with a prayer card and a set of rosary beads around the rear view mirror to protect us while driving.

I take pride in myself and I am not afraid to tell the world about it.  I feel this collage represents me perfectly.  Family is the most important thing in the world.  Girlfriends, boyfriends, and comrades come and go, but family will be there forever.  Faith and religion is something I recently have become so dependent on.  It will get one through the toughest times in life.  Last but not least, sports.  Running around, jumping, and throwing a ball may seem pointless to some, but not to me.  Sports can keep one out of trouble and can also lead to great friendships and accomplishments.  I know this from experience.  With these three things in my life, I know I will succeed to my fullest potential.

1 Kamellia Saroop { 12.11.08 at 9:51 pm }

What I love so much about this collage is its varying textures and the rich effect that your rosary has on accessorizing it. I also liked your demonstration of how to “wear” your collage in class today.

2 Anna { 12.12.08 at 1:37 am }

It is admirable that you cut up and used some of your most prized possessions from your athletic years in high school. I can see that sports is a defining aspect of your life. Very clever how you were able to wear your collage. Well done. 🙂

3 Yuriy Minchuk { 12.12.08 at 8:25 pm }

It must have been a stab in the heart every time you put a scissor or a stapler to your sports memorabilia. This effort was valiant and admirable. Vincent you are a soldier. No but seriously it looked great. The colors and textures stood out. Just you wait.. wearing a collage is going to be the new thing.

4 markbosse { 12.13.08 at 3:56 am }

I love this Vince,
You were obviously very dedicated to creating the most expressive, individualized collage out there. I think this says a great deal about your personality, as a collage should.