Arts in New York City: Baruch College, Fall 2008, Professor Roslyn Bernstein

The Instant Culture of America

In America today everyone expects things to be instant. People want to get fast money without saving, they want to lose weight immediately without diets, and they want technology to work faster and faster. Society has no patience to wait for things to happen, and they want instant gratification. The collage is designed to have a congested feeling. We expect so many things to happen instantly, that our lives have become much more complicated. Even though everything is supposed to be easier and simpler, the instant culture causes people to try to do too much at once.         

I took lines from various advertisements in Time Magazine and Good Housekeeping, which are both widely read across America. In almost every ad, there was some reference to things happening at a faster speed. Some said, “Lose weight fast!” Others said,“Get the speed you need!” I pasted them in the word, “instant”, to try to get the message across that the culture today expects everything to happen “in an instant”. When so many things are competing for the same time slot, it becomes more stressful and chaotic, even though instant is said to make one’s life simpler and easier. 

1 Anna { 12.12.08 at 1:45 am }

It is easy to overlook things when we move too fast. I agree with your theme that we should slow down and take our time with things to fully experience and enjoy life. I like how you positioned your collage, purposely leaving space at the bottom to show the amount of time that we can use, but don’t because everybody wants everything instantly. Cool theme. 🙂

2 markbosse { 12.13.08 at 3:59 am }

Rachel,
I must admit that this was my favorite collage. I think that your use of space, color, and scarcity really worked to your advantage. I also like how you tackled a political and societal issue. Great job!

3 Kamellia Saroop { 12.28.08 at 1:31 am }

I think this collage is not at all superficial; you let the viewer in on your use of written language to represent present-day culture. Moreover, the words are all laid out on a fitting color. Very refreshing and different, Rachel.