Arts in New York City: Baruch College, Fall 2008, Professor Roslyn Bernstein

Roger Federer: Path of a Champion

My collage shows some of the defining moments of Roger Federer’s career. Roger has already established himself as one of the best tennis players to ever live. While his career is far from over, there have already been defining moments along his champion’s path. In my collage I have chosen four specific moments to chronicle his career.

I chose his breakthrough moment that came during the Wimbledon tournament of 2001. Roger played Wimbledon legend Pete Sampras and won a 5-set thriller. Second, I chose his triumph at the 2007 Wimbledon tournament. He beat his long-time rival Rafael Nadal to capture his 5th straight Wimbledon crown to equal the record established by Bjorn Borg. The third moment that I chose was his devastating loss to Novak Djokovic at the 2008 Australian Open. He was suffering from mononucleosis at the time and this put a dent in his aura of invincibility. The final moment that I chose was Roger’s victory at the 2008 U.S. Open. This win was a revival of his career because after a very tough 2008 he was able to capture the last Grand Slam tournament of the year. This victory also put him 1 behind Pete Sampras’ record of 14 Grand Slam tournament victories.

I felt that this collage shows the ups and downs that any champion encounters. It is interesting to see the defining moments of a career and how they affect each other. Roger is arguably the best tennis player to ever pick up a racket and he will go down in history as an all-time great. It is amazing to see all that he has done in his career as well as seeing the ups and downs that every champion has.

1 comment

1 Jeff { 12.27.08 at 10:05 pm }

I wonder if you might be a tennis fan? Haha, love how you showed that nobody’s life is all rainbows and butterflies. Even the greatest champions face defeat eventually. The true champions are the ones that get back up and try again, no matter how badly they might have lost.